Things I want my son to know

The thought of being a parent in just 10 short weeks is still slightly terrifying to me, but lately I've been thinking of how we should raise him and what things I'd want to teach him as he gets older. I know my husband will have his list of things he wants to teach him, but I thought I'd start a list of my own. So, here we go! I'm sure I will have a lot to add as time goes on, but this is a start. Also, these are in no particular order.

1.) Treat others with respect, no matter what they look like, where they are from or what their beliefs may be.

2.)  Don't be afraid to stand up for what you believe in, your voice and your opinion matter.

3.) Karma is a real thing, always remember that.

4.) You have been loved since day 1 and you always will be loved.

5.) Your heartbeat is the most beautiful music I've ever heard.

6.) You will have a first love and you will probably have your first heartbreak with your first love. Please remember that it happens and as hard as it is, you will look back on it someday and smile because it happened.

7.) Try to learn something from every bad experience you have. Everything happens for a reason and if you look at these things as learning experiences, you'll know that you can get through them.

8.) Your Dad is one of the smartest people I know, try to learn as much as you can from him.

9.) Love to read. Books can take you to many places and can teach you many things.

10.) Tell someone you love them every day. Whether it's me, your Dad, your Grandparents, Great Grandmothers, Uncle.. just say it to someone and mean it every time you say it.

11.) Don't let anyone walk all over you, they can only do that if you allow them to. You are important and no one has the right to disrespect you.

12.) Nothing in life is ever just given to you, you have to work for it and earn it. Your Dad and I have both worked very hard for the things we have in life and having a strong work ethic is one of the most important things we can teach you. If we tell you that no, you can't have something unless YOU pay for it or work for it,  doesn't mean we're trying to be mean it means we're trying to teach you how to earn things.

13.) The Celtics are really the only team that you should care about in Basketball, but your Dad will teach you ALL about that.

14.) Be proud of where you come from. I don't just mean where you grow up but your family.

15.) You can learn a lot from your grandparents, listen to them when they talk. Your Grandpa George tells the best stories from when he was growing up.

16.) You don't always have to have the last word in an argument. Sometimes you can just win by walking away.

17.) Only hit someone if they hit you first, but know how to defend yourself in a fight.

18.) Love music and try to listen to all kinds of it.

19.) Don't worry about what other people think of you and be confident in who you are. Confidence is one of the best qualities you can have.

20.) Be a gentleman and treat women with respect.

There are probably a zillion other things, but I figured this was a good place to start. :)

Comments

  1. I love your list, it's very uplifting :)

    This is Para btw, Byron's lady!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Motivation, Inspiration and realizations.

Krystale VS. Evil weight loss monitor thingymajig

It's a new week!