Thoes knees...

I went to my physical therapy assessment yesterday, It was interesting to say the least.  I was really nervous about the appointment, I figured that I would be told that I couldn't do any type of cardio for quite awhile - and I was right.  The physical therapist was very nice and funny, which helped since I am one of those people who when I'm feeling awkward or uncomfortable usually makes some type of inappropriate joke. She asked me a zillion questions about how I got there, what I used to do for exercise, what I can do now etc.  Basically right now, I can't walk longer than 20 minutes without my knee feeling like there is absolutely nothing in there but bone on bone. It's excruciating when it acts up and I end up hobbling around, this is mighty different than the girl who walked 26.2 miles a little over a month ago. I found out that it in fact is not caused by my marathon walk, but basically by getting older and being overweight..Oh and not stretching properly. Well I can't really do anything about getting older, but the other two I can help.

She stretched out my body and had me do all kinds of weird things to see how I'm aligned etc. turns out my alignment is great! Woo! I was worried that since I had been told before my foot kicks out when I run, that, that was the case...and I'd have to wear some type of crazy footwear to fix it. Doesn't seem like that should be a huge issue though. Turns out my IT band is very tight on both sides and that is causing a lot of my issues. It was pretty neat though to see the way she could tell all of this just from me doing some stretches and moves. Anyway, she also tested my left knee as well and it turns out, that side is doomed as well. Well, was doomed. So I have to do the exercises on both sides to stretch everything out, great. I'm just glad that I didn't continue to try to tough it out like I had been because it would have been a whole lot worse if I had. The big bummer for me is that I can't really do any sort of cardio for 4-6 weeks, but I really have to work on my core strength.  So lots of core exercises for me, considering I have very little core strength (which is also a factor as to what is going on with my knee, so weird how it's all connected).

So anyway, that is my situation with my lovely knee. Hopefully I can get back to running in 6 weeks and it'll be a lot easier for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motivation, Inspiration and realizations.

Krystale VS. Evil weight loss monitor thingymajig

It's a new week!