Jimmy Fund Walk 2015 - Accomplished.

Hello All my readers!

I'm so sorry I haven't been updating lately, it's been..interesting lately. I haven't been focusing much on losing weight or maintaining my weight, to be totally honest. So it's been rough. I've decided to do a detox with the help of a good friend, hoping this will kick me back into the mindset I need to be in. Starts tomorrow so it should be interesting, no sugar so beware to my loved ones.

Anywho... Yesterday was the 2015 Jimmy Fund Boston Marathon walk. If you remember, I did this walk last year, by myself. This year I did it with a good friend and let me tell you, it made a world of difference. We started at about 6AM (maybe a little after) and it was REALLY cold. I think the weather app read about 35 degrees or something ridiculous like that, luckily we both brought sweatshirts so we were at least somewhat warm. The first 10 miles went by relatively easy, we were chatting it up and feeling good. We stopped at around mile 13 to stretch and change socks, I was really happy that I didn't have any hot spots this year and my feet were feeling great (that was my major issue last year). I'm going to say my sneakers being specifically for walking/running really helped. We started going again and at this point our legs were definitely getting a bit tired, we got to mile 16 and that's where the lunch was, so we stopped and had lunch. This year I went with the turkey and cheese which was a way better choice than last years chicken salad.  We sat for awhile to just recuperate a bit and eat.  The weather was PERFECT at this point, somewhere between 65-70 and  sunny. Last year was a bit humid and rainy so that wasn't ideal, but this weather was just something else. Anyways, I also have to say that during these types of walks you have to remember that you are only able to use porta potties for the majority of the time. We stopped at a few dunkin donuts, but most of the time it was just porta potties. You also have to get quite creative as there are thousands of people (really, thousands) using these same porta potties and they do not restock the toilet paper. SO once we reached the halfway point going on, there was no TP. Miserable. You get quite creative, let me tell you. Especially once you actually get into Boston, Ugh, I shudder thinking about it now.  OK MOVING ON. We reached mile 18 and this was the point last year where I really started to get tired and miserable and considered stopping many, many times. Thanks to Katie though, I was feeling good this year. We kept going and passed right through and did Heartbreak Hill with ease (well for the most part!). Once we got into the city, it was a bit tougher since there were so many people walking around (it was a sunny Sunday!) so we had to get creative in dodging others, also the 5 and 3 milers were starting their walk so there were just so many people. This was the part where we both got a bit quiet and just focused on putting one foot in front of the other, we were definitely struggling. I would say mile 21-24 we definitely didn't talk much. Everything hurt on me at this point, I was really having a hard time. My knee started bothering me as did the top of my foot, this was the mind game part. I wasn't nearly as bad as I was last year but I was feeling it for sure. I was also exhausted, I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before so I just hit that point of complete misery. Around mile 24 I started to get a second wind and we started chatting more and going a little faster. Those last 2.2 miles felt like they took FOREVER, finally though, we saw the finish line. It was a beautiful sight. We crossed and then kept walking a bit to find food. I think this helped me in my soreness as I didn't stop and sit immediately, so we got food sat down on the common to eat and relax a bit. Then we boarded the bus and went back to Hopkinton. It was somewhat amusing to watch everyone getting off the bus and hobbling just the same as we were.

So that was the walk this year, it was really a great experience. Though I have some swelling in my knee and on the bottom of my foot (odd) I am relatively ok, just sore (of course!). I'm so very thankful for all those who supported me in this endeavor. The Jimmy Fund and the Boston Marathon are of course both things that I hold very close to my heart. There have been way too many that have been lost to cancer and I am so proud to be able to do my small part in helping to hopefully someday make cancer a thing of the past.

I also am so thankful for my wonderful and supportive husband who had to basically do everything last night and yesterday since I was not able to move once I got home.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motivation, Inspiration and realizations.

Krystale VS. Evil weight loss monitor thingymajig

It's a new week!