I take my lunch break every day now.

So about a month or so ago, I decided to start taking my lunch breaks. Before that I would spend the entire day basically just sitting at my computer (every now and then getting up going to the bathroom/getting my lunch/water) but for the most part I would just be sitting at my desk, staring at my computer screen. By the end of the day I noticed I was always so burnt out and just miserable, usually with a headache. It really shocked me that I would get 6k steps before I sat down for the day when I worked out but wouldn't hit 10k steps until I got home and was running around getting dinner ready etc. I mean, I couldn't even get 3k steps in 8 hours? How is that possible?  It hit me then that I really no matter what should get away from my computer for a significant amount of time during the day to recharge. It made my afternoons so much more productive and helped me feel better by the time I left for the night. Not to mention I'm not paid for my lunch break, so technically my company is getting an hours worth of work from me that they aren't paying me for, that's not fair (or legal) either, now is it? I'm paying them in my energy/time to work. This is the culture in office life, though. In my office I barely see anyone take a lunch break regularly, we're all sitting there day in and day out just..working for 8-9 hours straight(because usually you are scheduled for 9 hours with a 1 hour lunch break in between so an 8 hour work day becomes a 9 hour work day). Meetings are scheduled during that time because it's the time most people leave open (to eat lunch) and usually it's accepted.  

I get it, it's hard to pull yourself away when the phone is ringing off the hook, the IMs are coming in and your inbox is filling up. In my opinion though and for me, I notice that after about 6 hours of this, I start getting distracted and end up becoming way less productive and just  counting the minutes down till the end of the day, which in turn makes for a really difficult afternoon. So from here on out, I am making a promise to myself to get away from my computer/phone for an hour each day to walk/run or even eat my lunch not at my desk ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motivation, Inspiration and realizations.

Krystale VS. Evil weight loss monitor thingymajig

It's a new week!