The voice in your head that says you can't do this.. is a liar.

Oh how true that is. 10 weeks ago I started putting all that I had into Couch 2 5 K, I got on the treadmill (because it was still really cold and miserable out) and I turned the app on. I got through what felt like the hardest work out of my life. I was sweaty, red faced and out of breath, I was convinced that someone, somewhere invented this app as a form or torture masked in exercise. I kept going though, I pushed through the soreness took some time off to rest my aching legs. Once I started running outside it got a little easier, aside from the hilliest of hills, the fresh air helped me out. I ran through an intense allergy attack (remember that photo where my eye was totally swollen? Miserable.) I ran in the rain, I ran in the heat and the cold. Eventually I stopped dreading it and stopped hating whoever told me I should run in the first place (which was actually me, I was hating myself). This morning I finished couch 2 5 K, someone who in high school would slowly walk the mile and thought that people who ran were just flat out crazy, ran almost 4 miles.  I have been praying for this day to just hurry up and get here and here it is. I feel accomplished and proud, but I'm not letting up, I'm continuing right on to 5k-10k. Now I focus on my eating and being healthy, today is a good day and I'm taking it day by day and meal by meal. My thought process is "If I can just eat healthy for breakfast and lunch.." so on and so forth. Just like I took C25K, I'm taking my eating as just step by step.

So, I'm compiling some tips here for those who are interested in starting the C25K program as I've had a few people ask me about it. I'm always up for a chat about it and will help in any way I can. Here are just some things I've learned:
1.) You will hate it at first. Seriously, you will think that it was the WORST idea you've ever had and will probably say "I am  NEVER doing that again" after the first day. Keep going though.
2.) For some reason, week 3 is the HARDEST week. I don't know if it's some sort of transition week or what, but I seriously thought about just quitting that week. It was even harder than the 20 minute straight weeks.
3.) It starts out easy but it gets harder quickly.
4.) PACE yourself. The hardest thing for me to learn was how to pace myself, I started out thinking I had to run a 10 minute mile. That is SO not true. My miles are like this: Mile 1 is probably 14 minutes, Mile 2 is 12 and Mile 3 is 11.50. I am so freaking slow, BUT I don't stop. Remember that you are training your body to run, it's not a race and you won't be fast at first.
5.) Sore is OK, pain is not. If you are having pains that are not going away, that isn't normal. Stop, rest and then try again. If it persists, stop and see a doctor, don't need to hurt yourself.
6.)Pee before you go out for your run. Nothing worse than having to pee halfway through a run,well..almost nothing worse.. (If you get my drift)
7.) If you're having trouble continuing to run during the intervals, try distracting yourself. Singing worked for me, it helped because I was not only distracting myself but I was also slowing down enough to get into a good pace. Other people smile, dance whatever keeps you going. I don't judge.
8.) STRETCH. Stretching is so important!! You will have a MUCH better run if you stretch and you lessen the changes of getting hurt.
9.) WATER!WATER!WATER! Drink your damn water! Being hydrated helps to prevent shin splints..those bastardly things that will almost always cause you to stop. It also helps you feeling good during your run!
10.) Have confidence in yourself YOU can do this! It's hard but it is SO worth it! Keep going when you're tired and want to stop. You'll feel better when it's done if you can complete it.

Anyway, thank you to my family and friends for pushing me and helping me through this! I'll be posting about the 10k training next :) Oh and here's a side by side comparison. The left is when I started C25K and the right is today. I think I've made some progress :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Motivation, Inspiration and realizations.

Krystale VS. Evil weight loss monitor thingymajig

It's a new week!