Does a desk job make you fat?

Some days I miss when I was a server and I used to zip around a restaurant for 4 hours at a time. At the end of my shift, my feet were burning but I knew that I had burned at least 500 calories from all the running around I did.

Well, I don't miss those days THAT much. However, being in the job that I have, I don't move all that much. It is for the most part, your typical desk job. I don't often have a need to get up unless I go to the printer or need to talk to one of my co-workers. So how do you stay active and not get fat from your job? There are a few things that I do to keep myself active during the day.

One: I get up every hour to take a walk. I actually have a reminder set in my calendar to get up and move. I'm not talking just a trip to the printer, I'll take a walk to the bathroom or to the cafe to refill my water. Just something to get me out of my chair.

Two: Desk workouts. It may sound crazy and I'm sure the other people in my office (and walking by) think I'm crazy. I will do "desk push ups" Yup it's a push up from your desk. It actually works and I get a pretty good workout from doing at least ten. Sometimes, I also do "jump rope" or "butt kicks" at my desk. I usually do this after lunch because that is when I am feeling the most lazy. 

Three: Stretches. I try to stretch every 15-30 minutes. This wakes up my muscles and tears my eyes away from the glare of the computer screen. 

These are small things that can be done very easily to keep yourself active.  I had noticed that the majority of the weight had started to really pack on after I started this job. At my last job I was always going somewhere and walking around. This job I don't have that need so I ended up staying put and it really does effect your weight and how you feel,  It keeps me from feeling like a drone at my desk most days as well. 

Also I wanted to mention that I am currently on Day 4 of the 30DS and I am definitely feeling something. I'm not going to be able to do it tonight or tomorrow since we will be away. This is OK because they say to take a break every 4 or 5 days. My shoulders area achy as well as my back and my abs. I'm glad to feel this because it makes me realize that I actually am working out my muscles. 

I've been noticing myself snacking quite a bit on candy (low fat candy, but candy none the less) so I went to Wal-Mart (If you know me, you know that this is quite possibly one of the most stressful places I can go) and I picked up some snacks for my desk along with some jolly ranchers and mints. I'm hoping this keeps me from wandering over to the candy bin. The hardest part right now is that there is candy EVERYWHERE in my office because of Halloween. They are bite size, but still have quite a bit of calories. This also got me thinking about the holidays, I work for a sales dept so in the past the reps have sent in candy and baked goods for the holidays. I am already getting nervous over how I am going to do with all of that temptation. I'm going to just have to wait and see and continue with my MFP. The Holidays are a scary thing for someone who is trying to lose weight. I am confident though, that I can still enjoy my Holidays and continue to lose weight. 

Have  a nice weekend to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motivation, Inspiration and realizations.

Krystale VS. Evil weight loss monitor thingymajig

It's a new week!